Our history began on February 28, 1952, when our forbearer, West San Bernardino County Water District, became the owner and operator of three local mutual water companies. This friendly acquisition saved the communities’ water rights and assets from condemnation. It was in this acquisition that the District became the owner of water rights dating back to 1897. During those early years, the District supplied more water for agricultural purposes than for domestic use.
During the 1970s and 1980s, the District grew and homes, businesses and schools soon surpassed agricultural water use. There were other mergers where smaller water companies became a part of the Water District. By the end of the 1980s, the District water facilities included 180 miles of pipeline, 12 reservoirs and 15 water wells. It was during this time that the District built its office and maintenance yard on Baseline Road in Rialto, where we’re still located today.
In 1992, the District was a partner in building five miles of new pipeline to bring much-needed water from the Bunker Hill Basin in San Bernardino to our area. Continuing the trend of working with our neighbors, in 1993 the District partnered with the City of Rialto to build a treatment facility for the water flowing from Lytle Creek. The Oliver P. Roemer Water Filtration Facility has been expanded twice and also accepts and treats State Water Project water, which increases the amount of water available for our customers.